Native American Economic Development & Diversification Conference
September 19-20, 2022Mystic Lake Casino Hotel – Prior Lake, MN
The Native American Economic Development & Diversification Conference will be held on September 19-20, 2022 at the Mystic Lake Casino Hotel in Prior Lake, MN.
Through a variety of panels and interactive discussions, attendees will engage with experts focusing on economic diversification. Tribal leaders will come together to discover new ways to diversify their Tribe’s economic ventures and focus on building resilient and sustainable communities that thrive. You’ll hear success stories, case studies and dig deeper into new ways to generate revenue beyond gaming. You’ll also discuss with experts what the economic future may look like in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic and how your economy can come back strong. By networking with other Tribal leaders, decision makers and industry professionals you can exchange tangible ideas on how to maximize your respective economies.
We ensure our attendees get to know their peers and interact with one another throughout the event by providing a variety of engaging sessions, numerous networking opportunities, and impressive business solutions.
Who Should Attend:
- Architect Firms
- CEO’s and CFO’s of Renewable Energy Companies
- Construction Companies
- Economic Development Professionals
- Energy Generators
- Environmental Assessment Companies
- Feasibility Study Companies
- Finance and Legal Professionals
- Government and Other Professional Service Firms
- Investors in Renewable Energy Projects
- Technology Developers
- Tribal Leaders
Register Now To Attend
Use code MYSTIC200 to unlock $200 in instant savings. Code expires Friday, 8/12.
For Professionals, Executives & Leaders from Tribal Government or Tribal-Owned Enterprises
Tribal Super Early Bird
Tribal Early Bird
Tribal Standard Rate
Group Rate (4 or more paid from same tribe or entity)
Group Super Early Bird
Group Early Bird
Group Standard Rate
For Other Industry Professionals
Pro Super Early Bird
Pro Early Bird
Pro Standard Rate
HOTEL INFORMATIONMYSTIC LAKE CASINO HOTEL
Room Rate: $159 per night
The group cutoff date is August 17, 2022
In addition to booking online, you may also call the hotel’s Reservation Center 24/7 at 952-445-9000. Please mention the Midwest Native American Economic Develop Block.Book Your Room Now
Native American Economic Development And Diversification Conference
September 19-20, 2022
Agenda at a Glance
Monday, September 19
President | Native Nation Events
Conference Co-Chair Remarks
Tribal Leaders Roundtable: Creating Opportunities for Tribal Members With a Goal of Self-Preservation for Tribes
- During the height of Covid, the Native American unemployment rate soared to 26%. What measures can be put in place to alleviate such a decline in the event of another pandemic?
- What can be done to prevent Native Americans from being forced to leave reservations to find suitable work?
- What socioeconomic hurdles prevent Native communities from expanding?
- What strategies can be implemented to attract more private investments?
10:45 - 11:45 AM
8-Track to Emoji
• Cross Generational Leadership
• Discover the answer for retention in the 21st century
• Understand the three major trends of upcoming generations
• Identify three common biases in the workplace
How Can Tribes Find Capital To Pay for Diversification Projects With Rising Costs, Inflation, and Interest Rates in Today’s Economy?
- Examine the effects rising costs, inflation, and interest rates have on financing for diversification and expansion projects?
- How can tribes gain access to funding for diversification projects, and what strategies can be used to attract more private investments?
- What grants are available to support tribal projects? How can those grants help finance future economic development and diversification projects?
- Discuss the recently announced New Market Tax Credit Allocations and how to ensure you get your fair share.
Non-Gaming Amenities With a Proven Track Record For Tribal Casinos
- What are some successful up-and-coming non-gaming amenities that can be incorporated into tribal casinos to enhance the property?
- How can tribes craft and capture one-of-a-kind multi-level enhancements from more significant properties and bring those unique experiences to smaller venues?
- What simple makeovers can capture customer excitement for Native American casinos?
- How does tapping into the five senses with sensory-formed design help create a nostalgic gaming environment without disturbing the original flow and footprint of the property?
- What economic development practices could help move the needle forward in gaming business expansions?
Diversification by Investing What You Know: How Tribes Are Creating Opportunities by Investing Off-Reservation Within the Hospitality Industry
CEO | Mille Lacs Corporate Ventures
- What are the pros and cons of tribal indirect investments, co-investments, and direct investments?
- Discuss post-pandemic success stories with off-reservation investing, specifically in the hospitality
- How can investing in the hospitality industry increase tribal profiles while increasing diversification?
- Are there any foreseeable pitfalls for tribal communities to delve into off-reservation investing?
Mystic Lake Case Study
Monday's Sessions Conclude
Tuesday, September 20
8:30 - 9:30 AM
Are Labor Shortages Within the Hospitality Industry Here To Stay?
- How can tribes overcome the hurdle of labor shortages while trying to diversify their portfolios?
- At peak seasons throughout the country, an estimated one million plus, primarily college-aged, Western and Eastern Europeans, came to work in the US during the pandemic. However, with staffing programs drying up, how can tribal communities create other avenues to include them?
- Discuss how government administrative policies play a role in current tribal labor shortages and if there are measures to prevent a significant decline moving forward.
- What opportunities can companies create to maintain employee engagement?
- Discuss practices put in place or considered which promote loyalty and longevity while reducing high turnover rates.
- In what ways are tribal enterprises getting creative to solve staffing issues?
- What role does new technology play in bridging the divide?
9:30 - 10:30 AM
Inter-Tribal Project Development: Diversification While Paying It Forward
- Elaborate on 25 U.S. Code 4305—Intertribal Tourism Demonstration Projects— which is a program to facilitate the development and conduct of tourism demonstration projects by Indian tribes on a tribal, inter-tribal, or regional basis.
- Discuss ways to assist in the development and promotion of tourism in and in the vicinity of Indian lands to keep money from leaving communities sooner than what is optimal.
- How can tribal leaders sustain their reservations and help prevent what proportion of the marginal dollar of income goes into taxes, savings, and imports, also known as the “leakage and multiplier effect”?
- What systemic inequities continue to this day in Native communities that can be addressed and used to bridge the gap between the rest of the world?
11:00 - 12:00 PM
Opportunities for Tribal Communities To Diversify With Cannabis and Hemp
- How should tribal leaders approach welcoming cannabis into their communities?
- What opportunities for monetary benefit exist when cannabis dispensaries enter tribal communities?
- What role do regulatory requirements such as federal legislation, lobbying, legalities, and risk management play in allowing these opportunities for tribes?
- In what ways can cannabis and healthcare work together?
- How does getting into the cannabis and hemp industry help tribes diversify their enterprise portfolios? Are there still opportunities for other tribes to follow?
Are There Benefits for Tribes To Invest in Energy?
- With the Biden Administration pushing for green energy, what opportunities remain for tribes to look to diversify into the energy sector?
- What can be learned from tribes that have already made investments in the energy sector?
- How can tribes start investing in energy? What are the steps?